From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Dean Wells
Sent: 12 April 2006 14:37
To: Send - AD mailing list
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] AD replication compression algorithms

I've never thoroughly tested it having not encountered perf. issues with the now legacy MSZIP algorithm nor have I seen any published stats. from MS outlining tangible differences on shrink-wrapped hardware.  I'd suggest running through a few dry-run scenarios with the relevant reg. tweaks (below) in place -

Compression adjusted per DC -
HKLM\CCS\Services\NTDS\Parameters / REG_DWORD: Replicator compression algorithm

Values: (default = 3)
- Disable Compression
- Value not used
2 - Force MSzip algorithm
3 - Use Xpress algorithm

Adjusting compression expense per DC -
HKLM\CCS\Services\NTDS\Parameters / REG_DWORD: Replicator compression level

Values: 0 through 9 (Default=3)
(0=faster, 9=more compression, values beyond 3 have been tested and typically provide little if any compression gain)
Hope this goes some way toward helping.

Kindest regards.

Dean

--