On 5/5/06, joe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Welcome.

I am not sure if you can set a domain by default for the initial logon. If you could, I would expect it to be to some of the reg entries maintained in the HKLM\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\winlogon portion of the registry.
That is exactly the key we have found what little information we have.  No matter what you set for defaultdomainname or altdefaultdomainname it's the same thing.

You could step around that by telling people to use UPNs for logon instead of SAM Names. That would mean you would use something like   [EMAIL PROTECTED] instead of something\PGlenn. That is the direction the auth is going so if you are starting fresh now, might as well start that way. Then the domain dropdown is a moot point. It also means you can dork with the domain's almost to your heart's content and never have to worry about telling the users their new domain, it will just work because the UPN does not have to match the Domain structure.

We would like, if possible, to stay away from this because of the way we have the students logging on now.  Currently they don't have to use any context for their Netware logins.  A far cry from the days they had to put in .pglenn.uxx.student.usr.uky  The direction our university is leaning is to do everything via LDAP lookups.  We are doing this because we have 2 major AD domains and on major eDirectory.  Account information is handles by Novell's Identity Manager.

I am curious about the direction to move as you state it as "the Novell business model", what specifically is pushing this change? With Novell embracing Open Source I would expect schools and the like to be more, not less, interested in it. Also I am curious why not a move to say BSD or Linux. If anywhere that stuff works well en masse it is in school environments because they are so closed and geographically small.

Going open source is great for many things.  However, after many years or struggling with different vendors and their lack of support for anything that is not Windows, open source wasn't that appealing.  Our vendors include made dicipline specific software who don't want to support anything else and hardware vendors that support others things when they get around to it - and example of the latter being the horrible tech support from Tivoli after loosing about 2 terabytes of data (took them 6 months to get it resolved).  Using Netware OES or eDirectory on SUsE were other options I had.  After wieghing several things - most importantly my learning curve for such a move to either one given the time table - I chose AD.  This will allow us to put out images without a non-native client.  This also pleases my VP, who really wants me to move toward AD.

Paul