Title: RE: ADAM Schema Questions

1)       Off the cuff, I’d speculate you hit init sync. If there is no partner and you have not replicated, FSMO roles will reject operations that leverage their FSMO-ness due to init sync requirements. The idea behind this was to stop old FSMO role holders to come back online and accept updates that conflict what other people have since performed if the FSMO role was seized while they were offline. Perhaps this is what you were hitting.

~Eric

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of joe
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2006 3:57 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] ADAM Schema Questions

1. What was the exact error you saw, with DSID? I have done schema mods of instances where one or more of the other instances were powered down so they couldn't replicate.

2. Which MMC app are you trying to hide it from? Could be a bug, but depending on the plugin, defunct attributes possibly should show up. It is up to the code to read the schema and determine the current state and then decide whether it should show the attribute or not. When you defunct something, the data behind the attribute is not purged.

O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition - http://www.joeware.net/win/ad3e.htm

Please ignore part two of my question, I figured it out. I was only running

 dn: CN=MyClass,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=X
   changetype: modify
   replace: isDefunct
   isDefunct: TRUE
   -

   dn:
   changetype: modify
   add: schemaUpdateNow
   schemaUpdateNow: 1
   -

As opposed to

 dn: CN=MyClass,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=X
   changetype: modify
   replace: isDefunct
   isDefunct: TRUE
   -

   dn: CN=MyClass,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=X
   changetype: modrdn
   newrdn: cn=MyClassOld
   deleteoldrdn: 1

   dn: