The thing I'm not wild about with third-party clients (OSX etc.) is
that they often don't play well with security features like SMB
signing - if the Macs are hitting a Windows file server, most of the
Apple documentation will tell you to turn it off entirely.  Similar
things can also happen if you've got Windows clients needing to hit
Samba shares.

It's really just one of those basic tenets: complexity is the
arch-enemy of security, etc. etc.

- Laura