What I have found today is that I actually don't have to register the
.DLL file, only have both files in the same directory present already
does the trick. Although when you do a 'Start > Run > mstsc' it will
start the one in your Windows folder ofcourse.

Old version: 5.1.2600.2180
New version: 5.2.3790.1830

And when registering the new .DLL in another location then the current
one (ex. D:\MSTSC\MSTSCAX.DLL), I receive the message "*.DLL was
loaded, but the DllInstall entry point was not found. *.DLL does not
appear the be a .DLL or .OCX file"

For tsmmc.msc I have found that I needed to install the MMC 3.0
update, register the .DLL (although I had a warning) and then it was
available...

I've installed W2K3 SP1 Administration Tools, but that didn't actually
do the upgrade. If I look into the source of the Support Tools, I
don't see the .DLL files or the .EXE files located there.

So actually we should fine tune this to have the ideal 'upgrade' ;-)

Regards,
Bart