Hi Chris

Are you creating a new forest or just upgrading the one you have?  I would
start by setting the DHCP lease time really low (1 day perhaps).  I would
run forest prep and domain prep on the boxes you have now, and then dcpromo
a new server into the environment.  It should pick up the DNS partitions by
itself.  Once it has DNS and all AD partitions I would then change the DHCP
server to point to the new box for DNS, wait a day, then demote the
existing server.  Do that for each of the DCs.  That should put your DNS
services and all AD services on the new 2K3 boxes and demote the 2K boxes.
After that you can upgrade to 2K3 functional domain and forest (once all 2K
DCs are gone).  It may also be worth swapping the ips so your new boxes
have your old IPs and vice versa.  This will allow you to keep the DNS
settings on anything that is static.  You will need to re-authorize your
DHCP servers on the new IPs and change the WINS in both DHCP and on the
static machines but that may be less work then changing DNS on all those
servers and WINS is less critical to AD operations then WINS is.

Of course this assumes that your domain structure is good the way it is,
you do not have Exchange, and you are looking to separate DHCP and WINS off
the DCs, keeping the old boxes for those.

Regards;

James R. Day
Active Directory Core Team
Office of the Chief Information Officer
National Park Service
202-230-2983
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

|---------+------------------------------------->
|         |           "Chris Pohlschneider"     |
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|         |           wayusa.com>               |
|         |           Sent by:                  |
|         |           [EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|         |           edir.org                  |
|         |                                     |
|         |                                     |
|         |           07/10/2006 12:19 PM AST   |
|         |           Please respond to         |
|         |           ActiveDir                 |
|---------+------------------------------------->

  |       To:       <ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org>
                                                 |
  |       cc:       (bcc: James Day/Contractor/NPS)
                                                 |
  |       Subject:  [ActiveDir] Migration to AD 2003

Hello All:

I am a newbie to Active Directory and have some questions about migration
our current active directory environment (AD2000) to AD2003. We have WINS,
DNS, DHCP, running on two domain controllers. Reasoning for migrating is
that we have some old hardware for our domain controllers and we want to
move AD over to newer more stable servers. My question is what process
should we move forth with first, getting DNS off of these older domain
controllers and put that service on the newer soon to be domain controllers
first? Then run the forest prep utility to prepare for AD migration? Thanks
for any help.

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/ListFAQ.aspx