I guess it really comes down to one thing:

What does your employer want?

If they want to be able to sell off the asset quickly and smoothly, a trusted peer forest is the way to go.  If they want to save money now, then just build some OUs and go that direction.

Make sure that they know the differences though:

Moving 10-30 computers into a new domain isn't just a 2 minute move, unless you really don't care about the user's former profiles.  'Give them their e-mail' might sound really nice if you don't care about them either.  Severing the users from their domain severs them from other things that are behind the scenes, their SID and the Exchange infrastructure (if you are using Exchange).  Going with an OU to handle the computers and users is easy now, but it's not pretty or simple.  Going with a separate peer domain/forest allows you to sever them very smoothly (break trust) and the users actually continue to work exactly as they did before, except that they can't access any resources on your existing domain.

I'll be honest... a lot of people are more concerned with saving money than they are in making sure that an asset has the capability to be completely independent of the parent organization.

My recommendation is based upon what several companies that I've worked for do when they start up divisions that might be spun off later or even with assets which they acquire.