Title: Replication Problem After DC Demotion

That’s good to know Brian.

The information that we came across and thought might be relevant is posted below for anyone who may find it of value.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/Library/c238f32b-4400-4a0c-b4fb-7b0febecfc731033.mspx?mfr=true

Excluded Nonresponding Servers

The KCC automatically rebuilds the replication topology when it recognizes that a domain controller has failed or is unresponsive.

The criteria that the KCC uses to determine when a domain controller is not responsive depend upon whether the server computer is within the site or not. Two thresholds must be reached before a domain controller is declared “unavailable” by the KCC:

The requesting domain controller must have made n attempts to replicate from the target domain controller.

For replication between sites, the default value of n is 1 attempt.

For replication within a site, the following distinctions are made between the two immediate neighbors (in the ring) and the optimizing connections:

For immediate neighbors, the default value of n is 0 failed attempts. Thus, as soon as an attempt fails, a new server is tried.

For optimizing connections, the default value of n is 1 failed attempt. Thus, as soon as a second failed attempt occurs, a new server is tried.

A certain amount of time must have passed since the last successful replication attempt.

For replication between sites, the default time is 2 hours.

For replication within a site, a distinction is made between the two immediate neighbors (in the ring) and the optimizing connections:

For immediate neighbors, the default time is 2 hours.

For optimizing connections, the default value is 12 hours.

You can edit the registry to modify the thresholds for excluding nonresponding servers.

Ushruf Abouelnasr

IT Analyst II | City of Pasadena | ITSD

(V) 626-744-3951 | (F) 626-396-7951

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]