I have never had any problems caused by changing permissions on a DFS root.  One thing to consider before you move too far down the road of configuration though is if you really want to invest in a 2000 DFS structure when the 2003 R2 DFS structure is so much more robust and reliable.  I have had and heard of countless problems with 2000 DFS.  I have not had any problems with 2003 R2 DFS at all.  If you decide to move forward with 2000 DFS, be aware that they will probably stop replicating occasionally.  You will then spend hours troubleshooting.  Seriously it is worth building this on 2003 R2 servers even if you don’t currently have any, if you are doing anything with DFS.  I know that is not what you are asking, sorry.

Anyone disagree?

Kevin Brunson

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Lucas, Bryan
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2006 4:07 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: [ActiveDir] Securing DFS

We built a DFS Root on a windows 2000 domain controller and the root of the share has “Everyone” Full Control.  E.g. if I go to \\domain.com, right click on the dfs root’s properties, the security tab.

Can I simply take FC away?  I’m a bit hesitant because it lives on the DC and came this way by default.

Bryan Lucas

Server Administrator

Texas Christian University