I am about to embark on a similar task.

I have a root DC running DNS that is slowly dying. I have a fresh server to take it's place. The fresh server will use a new hostname. Two scenarios I envision:

(1) Promote and install DNS on the fresh server, using a temporary IP Address. Make the fresh box a GC. Migrate FMSO's from the dead server, remove it's GC, demote, remove DNS and remove it from the domain, and then shutdown the dying server. Ensure all replication and computer objects are gone.  Assign the dying server's IP to the fresh server.

-or-

(2) Demote, remove DNS and shutdown the dying server. Assign it's IP to the fresh server. Promote and install DNS on the fresh box.

I am thinking scenario (1) would be the cleanest, albiet more time consuming, scenario. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

"McClure, David (MED US)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

09/14/2006 10:12 AM

Please respond to
ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org

<ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org>
cc
Subject
RE: [ActiveDir] Any impacts to domain controller when changingits IP?

If you're running a Certificate Authority on that DC, you can't change
the computer name without first uninstalling Certificate Services.  I'm
not sure what the impact would be on the chain of trust if you reinstall
CertSvcs after the name change.