From: "Joe Kaplan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org>
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2006 1:16 AM
Subject: Re: [ActiveDir] ADAM bind Redirection with a NULL password

Do try to push your vendors in the direction of standards-based federation when federation is the solution. It is really the best way to go for that particular class of problems.

The real problem for ADFS in the federation space is that it only supports WS-Federation and doesn't support SAML2. A lot of vendors that are interested in federation have already gone down the SAML 2 path, as it has a headstart and a good standards story. It is also non-Microsoft, which makes it instantly interesting to a lot of people, like it or not.

One of the things I'm faced with in my own federation deployment is that in order to cover some of the vendors we'll likely need to federate with, I'll need to integrate a completely different product just to support SAML 2.0 protocol. That sucks. I can understand why MS went in the direction they did, but I'd still like to see a SAML 2 compatibility mode or some middleware I could stack on ADFS that would allow me to reuse most of my current investment.

We actually considered using a different product that supports both WS-Fed and SAML 2 (Oracle, RSA and Ping all have this for example). The problem is getting the really tight integration with both .NET claims apps and Windows token apps on the "inbound" scenario side. That's where the ADFS feature set really kicks butt and sort of forces us to use it anyway. Thus, two products. Sigh.

Joe K.