To: <ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 1:46 PM
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Seperating Database and logs on seperate disks

What were the support reasons? Someone whined until they got the OS on
RAID-1 because that is the way "everyone" says they should do it or another
popular one is that is the way we "always" do it?

One of the issues is that most of the machines folks like to make into DCs
just don't have enough disk slots to have multiple spindles for the DIT if
you take up 4 for the OS and Logs. If you can get away with mirror/mirror/6 disk 0+1/10... Excellent, especially if x64 with sufficient RAM. If the disk counters start to show queuing on the DIT drive greater than what I consider heavy load (~2x#spindles) though I wouldn't hesistate to tear that down and
make it into a single 10 disk RAID 0+1/10/5. With x64, as Paul indicated,
that generally shouldn't happen though unless you don't have enough memory
or possibly you have recently rebooted and are defrosting the cache.

Mostly though, people should be looking at their own perf counters and
figuring out what they should be doing. Pay especially close attention to
Exchange GCs during the "morning rush" and the after lunch "rush", those are
the two areas that tend to initially start showing pain.

O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition -
http://www.joeware.net/win/ad3e.htm