Susan,
I too have seen the situation where a shutdown command issued through an RDP session fails to actually reboot the computer.
One recent example has these two event log entries:
The process Explorer.EXE has initiated the restart of computer SERVER on behalf of user Domain\Local Admin UserID for the following reason: Application: Maintenance (Planned)
 Reason Code: 0x84040001
 Shutdown Type: restart
 Comment:

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

The process svchost.exe has initiated the restart of computer SERVER on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
 Reason Code: 0x80070020
 Shutdown Type: restart
 Comment:

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

The two entries are 9 seconds apart in the order shown here. The next couple entries are 6013 uptime logs until the server is rebooted from the console a couple days later. Not sure what's causing the double shutdown or why it stops the shutdown process from actually happening but it's awfully annoying.

Andrew Fidel

"Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

10/17/2006 01:20 PM

Please respond to
ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org

ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
cc
Subject
Re: [ActiveDir] The remote computer has ended the connection.

Agreed, this isn't just this month.  This is been happening with
consistency about the last three to four months that we've been tracking
it.  Perhaps longer, but that's about the time those of us in the SBS
MVP listserve started realizing that all of us were having to figure out
alternative means to get to RDP sessions that were not coming back after
patching/rebooting.

In the SBS world it can be Exchange grabbing the TS port of 3389 as it
reboots which can be fixed with a reg edit...but mostly we're seeing
boxes, Windows server (and even workstations) flavors of all variety
that are either getting stuck on the way down, or we see that they get
the reboot command and then they don't reboot.

Currently everyone is just 'working around it' by using Ilo, or getting
remotely into another server or workstation and doing a remote shutdown
command... but I'd/we'd like to get to the bottom of it if we can.

It is consistently happening way too often and I'm seeing it reported
much too often.

--
Letting your vendors set your risk analysis these days?
http://www.threatcode.com

If you are a SBSer and you don't subscribe to the SBS Blog... man ... I will hunt you down...
http://blogs.technet.com/sbs