These days we're also checking out Acronis disk imaging, and http://www.storagecraft.com/ StorageCraft's Shadow protect in the SBS space in addition to the ntbackup. When you only have one DC you can get away with drive imaging it.

Albert Duro wrote:
It's amazing how parallel your story is to mine, including a flirtation with Ultrabac. Perhaps our story is not all that uncommon in our size/budget range?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org>
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2006 8:10 PM
Subject: Re: [ActiveDir] OT - Backup Follies (was) Exchange Log files --Disk Full--

I'm SBS... the SBS dev team does the backup scripting for me is why... I run a wizard, plunk it down on hardrives that I swap out. I get a daily email that wacks me upside the head that everything is okay. And you are the reason MS is building 'Centro' the mid market server that will wizardize for you what I have in SBSland.

I used to use Veritas backupexec until they kept yanking Exchange licenses and blaming Microsoft.. and then I used Ultrabac on a $3,000 Sony Quad loader tape drive and kept pulling my hair out over that one when it would work one night and not the next..... the day the $3,000 Sony Quad Loader died I took it as a sign from God to use NTbackup and harddrives rotations. Run out of backup room? No prob. Buy larger disks.

Once upon a time you couldn't have peeled my fingers off tape drives. Now you can't peel them off harddrives. I predict my fingers are going to start twitching again at some point in time and I'll be looking at online backups but right now they haven't yet moved in price enough.

Wanna know the crazy thing I do for the blog server at msmvps.com?

Yoda the blog server is backed up to a NAS for ntbackup (or is it a SAN... I can never keep track..but it's a huge hunking harddrive that's up there that Vlad Mazek put on the back end so the msmvps.com content (all 10,000 bits of good stuff and 4,990,000 of spam) is backed up. The SQL doesn't see the san/nas, so we dump the SQL to the harddrive and backup the whole she-bang. Then to ensure an offsite backup, the SQL backup alone is dumped into a Foldershare folder (free program from MS as they bought the company) that is then Foldershare'd to my server at home. This does a nightly data sync across the Internet. Now THAT is the poorman's databackup with offsite coverage backup solution :-)

Albert Duro wrote:
OK, Al. I said I'm willing to learn and you said you're willing to teach. So let me ask you what you would do in my place. I ask it in general terms and hypothetically--I'm not trying to get a freebie consulting engagement. So you have 80 workstations, 100 users, 8 servers, Win, Exchange, SQL server. That's the assets. The constraints: you can spend maybe $5000 a year on purely backup solutions. If you really raise a hue and cry, you might be able to get 3-4 times that. [1] But the budgeting of money is not the show-stopper. The budgeting of time is the real killer. Figure on having less than half the time you need, and that includes learning/training. I'm being generous here.
That's the rules I have to play by.  No fair changing the rules.  ;o)
BTW, I know nothing about SAN, except by rumor. I was recklessly speaking above my pay grade. BTW2, It never occured to me to question your view of the real world. Your comments and analyses have alway struck me as extremely sober and to the point. It's just that we are at different levels of the real world. (how the heck does Susan do it, anyway?) [1] Keeping in mind that security is putting increasing strain on the 'protection' resources, and that management and users are far more concerned with spam and viruses, which they can see, than with backup, which they hardly ever see.