Other than being used for access by other protocols such as pop, imap, and
owa, last I checked it's also the value used for the x.400 like address
which is used for mail delivery internally by Exchange.  You wouldn't want
that to be non-unique else you might have to call somebody like joe to come
in and help clean up :)

I'm surprised that this company you're at has not gone to unique values for
this.  I'm equally surprised they don't have other issues with their
Exchange deployment, but it's possible you haven't gotten far enough into it
yet to notice some of them.

I've blogged about my thoughts regarding what should be globally unique in
an AD/Exchange environment.  It's a long enough blog it may even be a good
candidate for an essay or possibly a sleep aid.

If you want the details, have a read.  The short answer is that you want
every user to be unique and to have a consistent and trouble-free
experience.  That keeps you from being up late at night with international
customers first and your local in-country customers the next day.
Mailnickname is one of the attributes that should be unique same as
samaccountname and smtp address (some are enforced per forest, some per
domain but all should be enforced regardless in my opinion). Since they can
often feed on one another, I maintan that samaccountname should be the
user's foundational, non-changing, never touched as long as that person is a
member of the company in good standing, network id. Exchange relies on
Active Directory and as such you're better following the same rules .

Al