   _____

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Brian Cline
Sent: Friday, December 01, 2006 11:07 AM
To: Active Directory Mailing List
Subject: [ActiveDir] OT: Possessed PCs

Yesterday we had several people complain that their cursor was moving around
on its own, but not erratically or quickly as one would suspect might be the
case of a mouse issue. I used SMS remote tools to watch one person's screen,
and she noted that the way the cursor moved while I was in there checking
things was exactly the same way it was moving before -- it was just as
though someone was actually in there.

Now I can't begin to describe how odd this is -- but I can't seem to find
any common denominator for the folks who experienced this problem (so far,
three or four). Some have wireless mice with a short range and good
batteries with no problems otherwise, whereas the others have standard,
working USB mice. I have seen this before where the language bar was
detecting office and keyboard noise through the microphone as dictated
commands to do thing, but the problem persisted on the first PC after I
disabled it, and I don't think that particular model has a built-in mic. I
checked the event logs and the only person who used the SMS remote control
was me, so I can't imagine that anyone else would have been remoting it
either. So far today I have not heard any more complaints, but nevertheless
I'm still curious yet baffled.

All PCs have updated virus and spyware definitions. Does anyone have ideas
on where to start looking if this problem surfaces again? If it continues
we'll have the corporate chaplain bring in his exorcist buddy.

Brian Cline, Applications Developer
Department of Information Technology
G&P Trucking Company, Inc.
803.936.8595 Direct Line