From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Paul Williams
Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2007 3:46 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: Re: [ActiveDir] do I have to choose between intra-site replication
speeds or dc based on site?

Yes.  Enabling inter-site change notifications essentially means that you have
intra-site replication occuring over a site link.  The only real difference is
that bridgeheads are still used.

Basically, when a DC receives a change, a notification is generated and sent to
it's downstream partners.  By default, notifications are only sent to adjacent
DCs within the same site.  When you enable change notifications on a site link,
notifications are forwarded over the site link by the local bridgeheads.  This
means that any change will have replicated from the local bridgehead to the
remote bridghead within ~30 seconds.  So, a change should have propogated
across the site in question in under a minute.

Obviously, this puts a little extra load on the BHs, and more frequent amounts
of traffic on the cross-site links.  If the links are more the 2Mbps and the
BHs aren't dying under the load, it will be OK to enable this, but you should
monitor the usual CPU and disk queues to be sure.  If the BHs are really old,
or you have slow lines  then you might want to do additional testing and/ or
reconsider.

--Paul