Hi Matt,

Natively it's difficult to track all changes to AD.  If you do this
through the event log, then you need a mechanism to regularly harvest
the event logs, such as Microsoft Audit Collection System (ACS).
Otherwise, as you've noted, the logs will overwrite and you will lose
historical information.  Even with event collection in place, you're
still at the mercy of what changes and what change information you can
actually get from the event log.  By increasing your audit policy you
can ensure more change details are captured in the event log, but you're
also producing a lot of additional information in the event logs that
you might not need, and you may need to worry about server overhead,
logs wrapping more often, etc.  Ultimately you likely need to know not
just that an object was modified but what specifically was changed,
before/after values, etc. - not all of which is easy to gleam from event
logs.

The two main 3rd party products that solve this challenge are NetPro
ChangeAuditor and Quest InTrust for Active Directory.

Thanks,

Shawn