-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Donavon Yelton
Sent: Monday, January 15, 2007 10:44 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] 1054 Error (Windows cannot contact DC - Group
Policy)

Hi Steve,

When running nltest /dsgetdc:<domainname> on the problem member server I
get the following (NOTE: I ran it twice, once for DOMAIN and again for
DOMAIN.LOCAL which is the full name.  I noticed that the flags for each
are different):

C:\Documents and Settings\supervisor>nltest /dsgetdc:domain
           DC: \\ATHENA
      Address: \\192.168.1.6
     Dom Guid: 0c93e47c-f1a8-4e05-916c-d6e6670f2c96
     Dom Name: DOMAIN
  Forest Name: domain.local
 Dc Site Name: Default-First-Site-Name
Our Site Name: Default-First-Site-Name
        Flags: PDC GC DS LDAP KDC TIMESERV GTIMESERV WRITABLE DNS_FOREST
CLOSE_S ITE The command completed successfully

C:\Documents and Settings\supervisor>nltest /dsgetdc:domain.local
           DC: \\athena.domain.local
      Address: \\192.168.1.6
     Dom Guid: 0c93e47c-f1a8-4e05-916c-d6e6670f2c96
     Dom Name: domain.local
  Forest Name: domain.local
 Dc Site Name: Default-First-Site-Name
Our Site Name: Default-First-Site-Name
        Flags: PDC GC DS LDAP KDC TIMESERV GTIMESERV WRITABLE DNS_DC
DNS_DOMAIN DNS_FOREST CLOSE_SITE The command completed successfully

I have already tried to disable slow link detection on the problem
member server however I had to do so by going into gpedit.msc and
setting it to 0 as that registry location doesn't exist on Windows 2003
Server R2 x64 (when searching on Google I could not find the location of
this key in this version of windows).  Also of note is that I have went
so far as forcing 100Mb connection on the active NIC on the problem
member server but it also did not solve the issue so I set it back to
auto.  The NIC in the machine is a 1Gb card.

This morning I removed it from the domain and added it back.  The group
policy seemed to work for a bit but after about 15 minutes of tests I
got the 1054 error again.  Strangely if I do a gpupdate /force I don't
get the 1054 error in the event log and instead get a 1704 (Security
policy in the Group policy objects has been applied successfully).

Donavon