greetings all,

I think I have a case of too much data being returned to a perl script,
but I'm not certain.

using perl 5, DBI:ODBC, MS-SQL and IIS 6:

executing the following code:

$sth = $dbh->prepare("select field1 from table ") || &failed( "prep
failed" );

$exec = $sth->execute() || &failed( "exec failed" );

correctly returns 170 rows of data. but if I replace the field name with
*, as in:

$sth = $dbh->prepare("select * from table ") || &failed( "prep failed"
);

$exec = $sth->execute() || &failed( "exec failed" );

it returns no data, but neither does either statement fail. the table
contains 160 fields.

can the script be overwhelmed with too much data, and/or are there
limits of field counts or return-set size, and if so can they be
managed? I have a hard time believing perl can't handle this table.

any ideas greatly appreciated. thanks.

John DePasquale

IT Manager

Law Offices of James Sokolove

1340 Centre Street - Suite 102

Newton, MA 02459

Direct line: 617-467-6932

Fax: 617-964-4336

This email is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it
is addressed and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law.
If the reader of this email is not the intended recipient or the
employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution,
or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please immediately notify us by
telephone and return the original message to us at the listed email
address. Thank You.