From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2007 2:13 PM
To: activeperl@listserv.ActiveState.com
Subject: Index of element in array?

Gurus,

I'm unable to find this in the Camel, Panther, or Billygoat books, so I'll
ask you... Is there a Perl function that returns the index of a given
element in an array?  For example:

my @list = q( apple  banana  pear  grapefruit);

my $look4 = "banana";

my $ndx = somefunc( $look4, @list ); # sets $ndx to 1

$look4 = "monkeywrench";

$ndx = somefunc( $look4, @list); # sets $ndx to -1, or maybe undef?

I'm trying to find a more elegant way than running a foreach loop over
@list.

Thanks!

Deane Rothenmaier
Programmer/Analyst
Walgreens Corp.
847-914-5150

A word to the wise ain't necessary, it's the stupid ones who need the
advice. -- Bill Cosby