Hello Bob,

BK> Two questions about the dde module:
BK>  1. Why is the documentation so poor?

Nobody  has written them yet! DDE is a Windows 'API' so you can read a
lot about DDE at MSDN.

BK>  2. Why does Exec throw an exception even when the command succeeds?

<snip>
BK>     This code actually does what it's supposed to: it connects to a
BK>     running instance of Internet Explorer and opens the requested
BK>     page.  But, having done that successfully, it also does something
BK>     it shouldn't do: throws an exception:

This seems to be something about IE. In FAQT there is an article about
using DDE to run IE
http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/view.phtml/aid/1360/fid/244

BTW,  I found the source for the dde module (Via Mr Chris Tismer's site for Pirx;
http://starship.python.net/crew/pirx/).  I'm  not absolutely sure that
this  is  the  source used in ActivePython, but I bet that if it isn't
someone will be nice and tell us ;-)

The source can be downloaded at: http://starship.python.net/crew/pirx/win32/dde.zip

This source seems to be based on the "Implementing DDE Using C++ Classes" by Mr
Nigel Thompson.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndynex/html/msdn_ddeserv.asp
There are also some references to Q92829 in the KB.

Anyway,  One possible reason for the exception in IE could be that the
DDE  timeout  has  be  set  to 5 seconds. If IE doesn't say it's ready
within  5 sec then you will get an error/exception. If you want to use
DDE  in some 'real' application you should look up asynchronous use of
DDE. A Real good site is RHA (Minisystems)  "Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) and NetDDE
FAQ"

I  hope  that  this  info will get you on your way and Please document
your movements through DDE territory using Python.

--
Best regards,
 Anders                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]