On Sat, 21 Sep 2002, Anders Eriksson wrote:

> BK>  2. Why does Exec throw an exception even when the command succeeds?
>
> <snip>
> BK>     This code actually does what it's supposed to: it connects to a
> BK>     running instance of Internet Explorer and opens the requested
> BK>     page.  But, having done that successfully, it also does something
> BK>     it shouldn't do: throws an exception:
>
> Anyway, One possible reason for the exception in IE could be that
> the DDE timeout has be set to 5 seconds. If IE doesn't say it's
> ready within 5 sec then you will get an error/exception.
>
> I hope that this info will get you on your way and Please document
> your movements through DDE territory using Python.

I paid Microsoft to open up a support case and find out what was going
on.  We tracked down the behavior to a bug in Internet Explorer, which
has been there for a while, and is still in the current version.  The
programmer who wrote the DDE code for IE got more than a little confused
about how to communicate the result of the operation back to the client.
Not only did this result in the bogus error code returned from
DdeGetLastError(), but it also introduced a small memory leak in IE.
The bug has been filed.

--
Bob Kline
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]