Hi Tony:

At Ohio State, our university policy template includes two main sections:
Policy and Procedure. Sometimes only one of the two sections needs updated
(e.g., procedure section) and that section gets an updated edit
(non-substantive changes/correction of error) or revision date both at the
section level and at the end of the policy under "history".

If a substantive change (AKA "revision") is made to the Procedure section (or
the Policy section, or both), it will need to go through the university policy
process. If it is a correction of error (AKA "edit"), if does not need to go
through the university policy process. Either way, all dates changes were made
(everything except fixing URLs) must be noted in the policy document in the
"history" portion and the specific section that was modified.

However... while we include Procedures in our university policies, we also
realize that sometimes the procedural pieces of a policy need more flexibility
- maybe the responsible office needs to update them annually or maybe they're
not really what's intended to be covered in the Procedure section. In those
cases, they may appear as an associated document and get listed in the
"resources" part of the policy. For example, maybe a new policy is being issued
and there will need to be an implementation guide for the first year or two but
after that it will likely change drastically to maintenance process/best
practices, that is probably more appropriately an associated document. We
review these on a case-by-case basis to determine what is best for the unit
while being consistent with our policy process.

There are also standards and requirements documents, which are governing
documents (a relative of university policies), that currently do not go through
a centralized process like university policies do. We are working towards the
adoption of a "University Policies" policy (affectionately referred to as a
Policy on Policy) but we're analyzing whether there should also be some
centralized operation around those other governing documents. More to come on
this piece...

This is the format of our policies (template attached):

I.                 Policy (required; also requires dates) - short general
descriptive paragraph

a.      Purpose of the Policy (required; include regulatory or legislative
references) - short general descriptive paragraph

b.      Table of Contents (optional; suggested for documents 8-10 pages or
longer) - use table of contents function

c.      Definitions (optional; suggested for terms that have specialized
meaning in policy; terms are bolded the first time they are used) - chart format

d.      Policy Details (optional) - outline format

II.                Procedure (required; also requires dates) - outline format

a.      Responsibilities (required; number responsibilities if more than one
for any position or office) - chart format

b.      Resources (required for any resourced referenced in the policy; divide
into subcategories if possible (e.g., forms, websites, etc.)) - list format

c.      Contacts (required) - chart format

d.      History (required) - list all changes chronologically, including BOT
resolution number if applicable

There's more info about our process available on our website:
www.policies.osu.edu<http://www.policies.osu.edu>. I'm happy to answer any
questions you may have!

Hope this is helpful,
Christie

[The Ohio State University]
Christie Frankart
Assistant Compliance Director
Office of University Compliance and Integrity
1534 N. High Street, Columbus, OH 43201-2190
P: 614-292-6585
frankart...@osu.edu
compliance.osu.edu