From: "Wrenn, Shannon"
Date: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 12:18 PM
Subject: Restrictive Language for Travel Approval

Good afternoon,

Does anyone have more restrictive language for approval of travel in their
travel policy or procedures?  I am looking for language to ensure that there is
not over use or abuse of travel or requests to general travel.  Anything to add
limits would be helpful.  Currently we have a very broad charge:

“Pre-approval is required for out-of-state travel.  Required approvals may vary
according to the travel destination and sources of funds as determined by each
institution.”

Any thoughts on ways to limit discretion that have not caused major issues on
your campus?  Thanks so much.

Shannon Dawkins Wrenn, J.D.
Program Director
Office of University Policy and Procedures
University of Maryland, Baltimore

620 West Lexington Street
First Floor, Suite 1110
Baltimore, MD 21201-1531