"John H. Robinson, IV" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes: > the usability issue i have found is this: > > the comments for choose_archive_dir indicate that if we use `mounted', > we should be able to look through the root filesystem (the ramdisk, and > all other mounted partitions, including /target) wherease if we chose > ``harddisk'' then we should be limited to under /instmnt.
I don't know why we can't just allow both options to really look under anywhere you want. Especially if that makes things easier. Thus if I'm installing from a "mounted", I can just browse around anywhere; if I am installing from somewhere else on the "harddisk", I'm first walked through the process of seeking and mounting a partition, and then I can browser around there or elsewhere. In short, I think the two options of mouted and harddisk should really *only* vary in that the latter offers you to mount a partition and defaults to the dir where that partition has been mounted (traditionally "/instmnt"). Of course, you can leave all this well enough alone if you want. I'm just offering my suggestion on how it ought to work. > forcing /instmnt seems wrong, since we umount /instmnt at the end of > choose_archive_dir (the exception seems if the user hit cancel). Well, you're saying that we're *forcing* /instmnt in the "mounted" option? That definately seems wrong. I could see how *defaulting* to our normal mountpoint (/instmnt) might make sense if something is indeed mounted there. But in no case should we *force* that, I think. > should we use /target, or / ? > > my initial thought was /target, since the only other mounted partitions > would be there (such as, re-using a /var partition, but putting the > drivers.tgz and rescue.bin in there first). the comments seem to imply / > > if i don't get any arguments, i am going to use /target Well, for either harddisk or mounted, I think, if something is mounted at /instmnt, that's a reasonable *default* (but not force, see above). Otherwise, "/" is most reasonable IMHO. -- ...Adam Di Carlo..<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...<URL:http://www.onshored.com/> -- To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]
