After hearing about lots of dead bumble bees at Eccelesbourne meadow in
Hastings Country Park I took a walk and yes there are dead bees all over the
meadow. I examined a few and they nearly all have emptied out abdomens.
Abdomens with no contents. I thought this was likely to be some creature
going around finding dead bees and eating the abdomen contents. However, I
came across one alive that had had the contents of the abdomen removed along
with the sting. It looks as if something is eating bumble bees by pulling
out the abdomen contents via the sting, I wondered if this could be evidence
of a bird called a bee eater or maybe a fly catcher. Does anyone know of a
bird that would eat bumble bees via the sting?