Hi Tom,

I had a post from someone who might be a Sussex Ornithological Society member
and he let me know that bee-eaters have been in Sussex. I don’t think that a
record can be made for Ecclesbourne Meadow because no one has seen or heard
them. However, bumble bees all all of which I have been found near the fence
surrounding the meadow. All with hollowed out abdomens taken out via the sting
could be indicative.

I found another one alive today with a hollowed out abdomen.

I share below the information that I received.

from Wikipedia: Before eating its meal, a bee-eater removes the
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinger> stinger by repeatedly hitting and
rubbing the insect on a hard surface. During this process, pressure is applied
to the insect thereby extracting most of the venom.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bee-eater#cite_note-EoB-1> [1] Notably, the birds
only catch prey that are on the wing and ignore flying insects once they land.

http://www.sos.org.uk/index.php?option=com_jobline4
<http://www.sos.org.uk/index.php?option=com_jobline4&Itemid=10> &Itemid=10 :-

Five Bee-eaters at Abbott's Wood

Five BEE-EATERS at Abbott's Wood (near Hailsham) just off A27. Showed well in
area where tree felling had taken place at approx 3.00 pm for 15 minutes before
flying off. Incredible!

(Presumably the same five birds that were at Dover until 10.30 today when they
flew off high SE - Ed).

Posted on 19 Apr 2015 by Kaella Lawson & Mark Lawrence

Thank you.

Best regards,

Richard.