Dear Denis,

If the proposal 2023-04 is accepted, this would not cause any change in the way we conduct our audits and evaluate the registration of PA assignments.

In IPv4, the mandatory contact information for PA assignments is provided by the “admin-c:” and “tech-c:” attributes; these must allow the RIPE NCC and other RIPE Database users to contact the End User regarding technical or administrative issues. The contacts are registered by the LIR as agreed with the End User.

As LIRs are free to choose how to provide services and to who, this includes their freedom to take over the responsibility as the point of contact for their End User as well as having their maintainer in the IPv4 PA assignments they register. This is in line with the Database Term and Conditions statement in “Article 6 - Responsibilities”: “The Maintainer is responsible for keeping all data maintained by them accurate and up-to-date, including correct Contact Details. The data must be good enough to allow the RIPE NCC to contact the Maintainer or Registrant within a reasonable time without having to get information from another source.”

Following the discussion in the Database WG the “descr:” attribute became optional for all object types in 2016. Since then, the RIPE NCC stopped enforcing the registration of the End User’s organisation name. LIRs still have the option to add this information in the “descr: attribute, by adding it to the “remarks:” attribute or in the “org:” attribute (provided they created an organisation object). This is reflected in the tutorial and training currently provided by the RIPE NCC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6oUf7j4SME.

PA assignments are not maintained by the RIPE NCC. They are very dynamic elements of the resource registration in the RIPE Database, and we do not receive any notification about their creation, updates and deletions. Additionally, the RIPE NCC is not in the position to confirm that the "admin-c:" contact is registered following the guidelines of the RIPE Database documentation (which is not a RIPE policy) where it is written that the “admin-c:” “must be physically located at the site of the network” or “must be the contact details of an on-site administrative contact”.

I see that this topic is in the agenda of the APWG session at RIPE 87 and I’m looking forward to follow this interesting discussion.

Kind regards,
Angela

Angela Dall'Ara
Policy Officer