Dear partners, companies and RIPE,

on the last RIPE meeting, my inputs have unfortunately been hampered by some
technical problems of online connection.
With this message, I would like to express from Europol perspective, our
questions and some clear concerns about the measure 2023-04 as proposed.

We have been very recently informed about the project of measure that would
indeed remove User assignment data from the RIPE Database public registry.

We have started a consultation of EU law enforcement services (that however
takes time), and informed the EU Commission.

>From the first feedback we have gathered, the measure will have some clear
>negative impacts on the capacity of law enforcement authorities to lead
>investigation, considering the current situation and practices.

Various law enforcement actors (LEA) do appreciate to have the information in
the RIPE databases. This direct access helps many investigators to work swiftly
in their daily activity against cybercriminals, fraudsters, pedophiles,
terrorists...as we all know.

The first negative impact will concern the swift availability of data : with
the new measure, LEA will systematically have to request information to the
LIRs, with a court order.
Beyond the sole matter of lawfulness requirement, it will not ease as such the
daily work, but instead it will be another barrier to the facilitated access to
the data : easing the access means easing an efficient and swift investigation.
The proposed measure does not prioritize it.
Maintaining access to the data of end users at RIPE level is also a way to
ensure access to all data, in spite of the uncertainty of answers from some
LIRs. Registration practices are far to be uniform across the various LIRs.
Please kindly consider that capacity of Law Enforcement is asymmetric towards
large volumes of ransomware attacks, online scam types and massive sharing of
Child Sexual Abuses Material,...all support from our partners is the most
precious to counter these realities.

The other main impact will be on the quality of collected data.
In practice, the proposed policy could indeed allow assignments to be somewhat
anonymised.
The measure would have here an impact on data granularity : The shift to
aggregated assignments would result in less granular data available to law
enforcement.
While individual assignments offer specific and detailed information about each
IP address's usage, aggregated data may obscure such details, potentially
complicating investigations that rely on precise IP address information..
We do understand that the aggregated registration of IPv4 addresses would
streamline administrative processes for LIRs but, it is important to
acknowledge that it would also have a negative impact on the efficiency and
effectiveness of law enforcement investigations.
The less detailed information will require additional steps or inquiries to
ascertain the specifics of an IP address's usage, potentially delaying
investigative processes.

Identifying IPV4, remains highly challenging in many cases, as all know, and
IPV6 will not replace it at short term.

All delays hamper the general (complex) process of investigation and may have
an strong impact on the final result (bad guys arrested and new victims
prevented or saved)

EU has recently adopted the NIS2 directive with its article 28 for a better
access to DNS information for the legitimate actors. we observe that the
planned measure 2023-04 would open an opposite (negative) trend on the access
to IP information.

We express our serious concern with the impact that such a measure would have
on various investigations carried out by EU competent authorities, and the
protection of victims, should it be adopted.

Thank you for your attention and consideration.

Regards

Emmanuel KESSLER

Head of Team - Prevention/Outreach

Europol - O3 European Cyber Crime Centre (EC3)

Eisenhowerlaan 73, 2517 KK
The Hague, The Netherlands
Phone: +31(0)70 353 1163 / mobile +31(0)61 503 1274

www.europol.europa.eu<http://www.europol.europa.eu/>