Hello Mikael and colleagues,

Thank you for the question, and I'm happy to provide clarification.

At present, we assign the highest available ASN from our undifferentiated pool, but we are planning to adopt a more randomized approach in the future. As a result, there will be no depletion of the lower digit (16-bit) ASNs anytime soon.

Kind regards,

Marco Schmidt
Manager Registration Services
RIPE NCC