On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 1:37 PM, Yuri Gribov <tetra2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 7:57 PM, 'Dmitry Vyukov' via address-sanitizer
> <address-sanitizer@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>> What exactly do you want to write? We need to coordinate.
>
> From compiler's side we'll probably start experimenting with stack
> instrumentation. Provided that we stick with function calls, I like
> the frame metadata approach most (i.e. insert calls to
> __kasan_instrument_stack/__kasan_uninstrument_stack at start/end of
> function).

Hi Yuri,

Regarding your instrumentation patch in the gcc mailing list.
I was thinking about evolution of kasan instrumentation in gcc. Let's
submit it as is for now to reduce traction in the gcc community. But
sooner or later we will want inline instrumentation for kasan, and it
won't work with this "-fsanitize=address
-asan-instrumentation-with-call-threshold=-1" scheme (the compiler
won't be able to understand what type of instrumentation user wants).
Also we now have -fsanitize=kernel-address in our makefiles, and we
will need to replace it with "-fsanitize=address
-asan-instrumentation-with-call-threshold=-1"; and later when we have
inline instrumentation we will need to replace it once again.

So I propose to add -fsanitize=kernel-address when the first patch is
committed. Now it will just enable "-fsanitize=address
-asan-instrumentation-with-call-threshold=-1" internally. But later we
will be able to change instrumentation for kernel under the hood w/o
disturbing users.

As for __kasan vs __asan prefixes, I don't care too much. __asan will
work for us.

Sounds good?

Also, does gcc asan pass emit ctors into every translation unit? It
was not working for us a year ago in kernel. Do you plan to disable
them in kernel instrumentation mode?