are you talking about still using JS for the client side
converter/validator stuff,
but just don't use alert(), instead using a "web2.0-ish" dialog ?

The validator/converter stuff isn't just an alert(). We have "client
side" Converter (with getAsObject/String) and Validators (with
validate) and FacesMessage etc.

Here is more on that interesting topic:

http://incubator.apache.org/adffaces/devguide/clientValidation.html

-Matthias