The Times of India

Development experts criticise partition plan of Thane district.

Nitin Yeshwantrao,TNN | Mar 25, 2013, 10.38PM IST.

THANE: Development experts and a section of the bureaucracy has lashed out
at the Maharashtra government's rational to create a new Palghar district
before May 1, arguing that multi-crore of rupees required for setting up
new establishment and related infrastructure should instead be used for
battling drought and providing relief in the water-parched regions across
the state.

Officials estimate that the state government would have to budget upwards
of Rs 500 crores in the present fiscal to create the necessary
infrastructure for building offices for the district collector, district
superintendent of police, a civil surgeon, district courts, a zilla
parishad set-up etc to name a few.

Public funds, already scarce, would be used up for paying the salaries and
allowance of top bureaucracy and the administrative supervisors who would
require offices, residential bungalows, apartments, vehicles, fuel and
related social infrastructure to meet requirements of their families.

``I do not think that the adivasi population here would greatly benefit
from partitioning of the present Thane district. A bulk of the funds would
be used up on creating a new administrative and supervisory units at
Palghar. What the area needs is wider roads, improved medical services,
quality education institutes etc but merely elevating a taluka into a
district place will not effect any immediate change in the semi-rural and
adivasi heartland here,'' said Prof Abhay Pethe, regional development
expert and economist.

The well-rehearsed official rhetoric that the new district will help in
efficient governance and improved service delivery in the tribal-dominated
Palghar has been quashed by Pro Pethe. ``Administrative efficiency can be
achieved in the present set-up as well with the help of technology and
state-of-the-art communication network. Funds allocated under the Tribal
sub-plan remain unused and creating a new district will not drastically
change the scenario,'' he said.

A section of the top officialdom is in agreement with Prof Pethe's
observations and said that the policy-makers in Mantralaya have misplaced
priorities. ``There is a dire situation across the state due to drought.
There is mass migration from the drought-affected rural Maharashtra into
urban centres like Thane, Mumbai, Pune for survival. Instead of
concentrating on how best to stop this migration and provide relief and
temporary employment in these areas, the state government is making plans
for creating new offices at Palghar. Ministers are donating their salaries
for drought relief and pleading with the Centre for cash relief on one
hand, and on the other, hundreds of crores are to be spent on establishing
a new district,'' an official said on condition of anonymity.

He added that the bigger irony is that the proposal to create a new Palghar
district was announced by revenue minister Balasaheb Thorat, who is also
in-charge of the department making arrangements for relief in the
drought-affected regions.

``If the state government was really eager to carve out a separate district
for the welfare of the adivasi-dominated talukas of Mokhada, Jawahar,
Vikrangadh, Talasari then it should have created a adivasi-only district
minus Palghar and Vasai. It could have included neighbouring Igatpuri in
the new district. However, now the balance of power is tilted towards the
semi-urban Vasai and Palghar. The area is the fiefdom of Bhai Thakur and
Hitendra Thakur as the MP from that area belongs to their party and two of
the six assembly seats are won by the party led by Thakur. A new district
will give him immense political clout to the powers-that be in the area,''
an official said.

A new district is expected to boost business, as the builders lobby has
already started announcing grand projects and are advertising about
Palghar's proposed status as a new district headquarters

On Friday, August 1, 2014 11:46:11 AM UTC+5:30, AYUSH activities wrote:

> News :
>
> PIL in HC against carving out of Palghar district from Thane
>

> *The PIL has demanded to 'quash and set aside the said political decision
> of the government'*
>
> A PIL <http://www.business-standard.com/search?type=news&q=Pil> has been
> filed in the Bombay High Court
> <http://www.business-standard.com/search?type=news&q=Bombay+High+Court> by
> a group of local political leaders and social activists opposing the
> Maharashtra government's decision to bifurcate Thane
> <http://www.business-standard.com/search?type=news&q=Thane> district and
> carve out a new district with its headquarters at Palghar
> <http://www.business-standard.com/search?type=news&q=Palghar>.
>
> The PIL has demanded to "quash and set aside the said political decision
> of the government."
>
> A total of 33 persons, including CPI(M) MLA Raja Nathu Ozare (from
> Jawhar), NCP state unit secretary Rajaram Mukne, ex-MLA and MP from CPI(M)
> Lahanu Shidwa Kom, Vikramgadh BJP president Sudhakar Patil and Adiwasi Ekta
> Parishad president Kaluram Dodhade, yesterday filed the PIL against the
> creation of the new district, which will come into being from August 1.
>
> The PIL is posted for hearing tomorrow.
>
> The PIL alleged that the decision to have new district headquarters at
> Palghar is a political one taken by the "insensitive" government under
> pressure of administration only for the convenience of the administrative
> staff of the newly created district and in violation of the norms which are
> required to be followed for the same.
>
> "The decision to have proposed headquarters at Palghar is discriminatory
> and violative of fundamental rights, guaranteed under Articles 14 and 19 of
> the Constitution for tribal and backward class people of the region.
>
> "Their decision is arbitrary, malafide, contrary to public opinion and
> views of all the five panchayat samitis, MLAs and MPs of area," the PIL
> alleged.
>
> Having a headquarters of a district more than 150-200 kms from most of the
> predominantly tribal areas of the proposed district Palghar is a negation
> of the right to live and right to have a dignified life as guaranteed by
> Article 21 of the Constitution of India, the PIL further alleged.
>
> "The decision is also violative of the directive principles of the state
> policy and the object of Articles 243 to 243(o) of the Constitution of
> India are thereby defeated. The decision to have headquarters at Palghar is
> violative of constitutional rights of tribal and backward class people and
> the other poor people of the region," it said.
> Link :
> http://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/pil-in-hc-against-carving-out-of-palghar-district-from-thane-114072900480_1.html
>

> On Thursday, July 31, 2014 7:17:47 PM UTC+5:30, AYUSH Adivasi Yuva Shakti
> wrote:
>
> Yaache Uttar kaay asel?

> [...]

Now its time for Tribal Integrity for Utilizing PESA & 5th Schedule for
"Swayatt Adivasi Jilha". Lets save natural resources save tribals. Lets do it
together!

Subscribe AYUSH YouTube Channel (Viewed more than 1,40,000 minutes):
http://www.youtube.com/user/adiyuva?sub_confirmation=1

Learn More about AYUSH online at : http://www.adiyuva.in/2013/10/ayush.html
---
"AYUSH | adivasi yuva shakti" group.