Codecs (enCOde/DECode) are confusing to virtually all newcomers to digital 
video. All of them come in two parts, the usually free decoder and the some 
free, some not, encoder. With Windows Media for example, the player 
(decoder) is free and so is the encoding software. With DVD (MPEG-2) you 
must usually buy both the player and the encoder, due to licensing costs. 
But all encoders deal with the same issue, namely the size of NTSC/PAL 
digital video files.

Digital video from a camcorder is created in the RGB colour space. red, 
green, blue. If you're familiar with image editors like PhotoShop you have 
probably seen colour pickers, a little eye dropper icon that displays 
colours in three sets of numbers, like 235-114-190. Each of these number 
strings describes a combination of red, green and blue and each can be 
anything from 0 to 255. Zero is black, 255 is white. So, when you read that 
your display is set for 16 millions of colours, what you are seeing is the 
possibility of displaying 255 times 255 times 255 individual shades, which 
if you do the math is about 16.5 million. Writing that much information, 
and decoding it on the fly is what makes working with digital video so 
demanding for a computer system. And that's before you double it up with 
transitions and stacked clips.

So, to make that much data small enough to travel through various 
pipelines, from dial up Internet to cable or satellite high definition 
television, encoders are developed. For the web as an example, turning 
something that requires 3.6 MBps (megabytes per second) into 500 kbps 
(kilobits per second) requires reading the data, replacing say 1000 shades 
of blue with 50, writing that new data stream and moving on, frame by 
frame. The reality is more complex but that's what's happening in general 
terms.  The more bandwidth available for transmission, the less you have to 
squeeze the original in the encoding. That's why a video made for high 
speed Internet on cable can be 500-750 kbps while a DVD disk-based video 
stream can be as much as 9,600 kbps, although in practise more like 4-7,000 
is typical.

The other issue is standards. Like the old VHS versus BETA tape war of many 
years ago, Internet video was born with a variety of encoders available, 
each requiring the decoder part to be installed on the PC trying to play 
it. When I first saw video on PC it was from an encyclopedia on CD, and I 
couldn't see half the selections because I didn't have the right decoder - 
although at the time that message might as well have been in Greek for all 
I understood about it. So today we have formats like, WMV, MOV, MPEG-1, 
MPEG-2, MPEG-4 in various flavours including standard and several 
non-standard, like Microsoft's version, and I believe DIVX as well. There 
are some free players available that try to read everything out there but 
deciding on what format to use remains a problem as long as there are 
significant numbers of potential viewers who don't have the required 
software installed. In office environments it often isn't possible to load 
whatever software you want, due to IT department restrictions, so you pick 
a format you're reasonably sure your audience can work with.

I'm sorry if I buried you in detail. Some of this stuff isn't easy to boil 
down, or to learn in a hurry.

David Hurdon
www.contentshop.tv


At 12:32 PM 10/24/2004 +0000, you wrote:



Hi Martin;

I downloaded DivX, but what I dont understand is your "I used the
DivX-5 codec".

Thanks anyway, shall be exploring it further.

Maarten




------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
$9.95 domain names from Yahoo!. Register anything.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/ADr1lB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Adobe-Premiere/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 



Reply via email to