I think adding a Trekking skill would be fun and useful if it granted
greater speed and range of movement. It should probably be available, by
race, to Elves and Half-Elves at first level, as well as to Forestkeepers or
similiar classes, including frequent wanderers like the Free Lancers, of the
other races. I exclude Ranger from the list of classes because Rangers are
by definition Elves and would not need to be granted the skill twice at the
first level.

I agree that the speed (base value + skill modifiers + ability modifiers),
should be handled on the Python side. Otherwise, the specifics of our magic
system - haste spell, potion of speed, songs of the birds - would have to be
written into the engine. This flies in the face our design goals - our game
running atop a reuseable CRPG engine.