Hi David,

Thank you (and the group) for your suggestions, recommendations,
experience, etc. It is greatly appreciated and has helped a lot.

I understand what you are saying about a "realistic" test system but it is
simply not possible/feasible.  We barely have enough storage for our
production systems and having to use slow NFS/ISILON storage hinders the
backup performance but is the only storage (besides server internal disk)
available.  We were using some old Dell Powervaults but those turned out to
be problematic (see below)!

I have been fighting for a properly designed/configured "enterprise data
protection" system for the 25+ years (i.e. ADSM and earlier) I have been
responsible for "backups" - to no avail!

As I mentioned in my initial post, the reason I am focused on Archives is
two-fold. First, there is a high probability that we will be moving away
from IBM Spectrum Protect to another "backup solution" and I need to be
prepared to extract any long-term archives from ISP. Second, since we have
to move to a new, much smaller datacenter by the end of 2023, the magnetic
tape subsystem/robot we currently use will NOT be moving (or be replaced)
to our new location.  As I understand it, if we do decide to move away
from/terminate ISP, we can continue to run an ISP server, unsupported of
course. My thoughts were that I could retain the archives we need to keep
beyond 2023 on a single ISP server in container pools, until they finally
expire.

FWIW, I want to move to container pools due to the disaster we had when one
of our Dell Powervault storage systems failed and we had to restore 150TB
of backups.  It took 3-months of constantly running restores against 200+
tapes, audits (stgpool & volumes), movedata, reclaims, more restores,
audits, rinse-lather-repeat, due to the FILE devclass "weaknesses" and
dedupe. Support kept telling me how much better containers would be and we
would have avoided most of the recovery issues we went through!