Bill, your colleague was correct, you can restore a non bootable mksysb
tape using an install cd.  As opposed to doing that, though, just backup
your mksysb to a file on your CWS, and then use NIM to restore that
mksysb onto your new node.  It will handle the tough stuff for ya.  You
can also do a savevg for all non-rootvg vgs.  Still doesn't get any raw
devices though, like SysBack will.