From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of
Zoltan Forray
Sent: maandag 10 februari 2014 20:20
To: ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Restoring Linux 6.1 server DB to new machine

I am testing a restore and conversion/upgrade of my last 6.1 server,
before it becomes a pumpkin in April!

I am having issues following the wonderful, detail, draft manual, since
it doesn't give specifics as to who I should be when I perform various
tasks.

For instance, after installing and configuring 6.1, the restore process
says to do a "dsmserv removedb TSMDB1".  But it fails to tell me (and
the command failed) that I should be logged in as the DB2 instance user
(tsminst1), not root.  Yes, all filesystems have the proper ownership.

So, I figured I would need to stay as the DB2 instance (vs root), for
the restore process.

While most of the restore process seemed to go OK, I had some errors
that seem to indicate I should have been root.

In the beginning of the dsmserv restore db, I got this error:

*rm: cannot remove `/tsmarchlog': Permission denied*
*mkdir: cannot create directory `/tsmarchlog': File exists*

Of course this confused me since I needed to define these for the
install process and the book didn't say I should delete it, so why would
the restore try to recreate them? But since the empty directory was
already there with the proper ownership, I ignored it.

Then after the restore ran for 2-hours (200GB DB and low-power test
machine), it ends with this:

*ANR4917I Point-in-time database restore with snapshot complete, restore
date 01/16/2014 09:18:53 AM.* *ANR0222E Error opening for write disk
definition file dsmserv.dbid.* *Error 2104 updating database ID file.*
*ANR2988W Attempt to add the last backup db volume used entry back in to
the volume history was unsuccessful.*

The ever helpful user manual for ANR0222E says "Attempt to determine the
cause of the write error and correct it." - Thanks, guys......

This sounds more serious?  Before I waste another 2-hours, should I
start all over again, doing the restore via root or is this something I
can correct, and how?

Thoughts? Suggestions?
--
*Zoltan Forray*