To my knowledge, there is nothing in JComboBox that might cause such a
behavior.  I suspect the problem is somewhere in your code: either in your
custom data model or in the code that handles adding items to the
model.  As the first step, I'd recommend you modify the add method of the
model to check what kind of objects are been added.  If they are all
ObjectX, then you know the problem is in the data model code.

Cheers
Dmitry