Hello,

 I think the relevant bit of the GeoTarget docs would be:

  It (GeoTarget) can, however, be targeted at:
    * a combination of one or more regions, metropolitan areas, and
cities within a single country or territory

 So if you're keeping it all within Germany, that sounds legal,
especially if the Sandbox is allowing it. If you see a discrepancy
between what the Sandbox and Production are allowing, please let us
know.

Cheers,
-Jeff Posnick, AdWords API Team