Hi Eric:

I switched to instantiating the user using the client library code
at...

        AdWordsServiceLogger.log();
        AdWordsUser user = new AdWordsUser(EMAIL, PASSWORD, "xxx",
"xxx", "xxx");
        TargetingIdeaServiceInterface targetingIdeaService =
user.getService(AdWordsService.V200909.TARGETING_IDEA_SERVICE);

... and this worked for me.

In digging deeper into the soap request, found that the request
header's namespace used by the client library was ...

https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/o/v200909

... whereas my manually written code had an error and used the
following incorrect namespace ...

https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/cm/v200909

The error message wasn't clear in identifying that but this is now
solved.

The reason why we prefer not to use Google's generated client library
is because version info is hardwired in to the generated package
names.
e.g. when you switch users from using 200906 to 200909, all of their
imports need to be manually changed.
If the generated client library omitted the version number from the
package name, our transition from one version of the API to the next
would be less effort.

Once I got my prototype working, the TargetingIdea elements display
keyword text, match type and idea type.
How do I get it to display the average targeted monthly search volume
and the global monthly search volume for the keyword variations?
The documentation on AverageTargetedMonthlySearchesSearchParameter and
GlobalMonthlySearchesSearchParameter aren't clear.
Are these fields used as an input to restrict the suggestions that fit
within a volume range?
OR are they used as parameters to determine what output fields are
generated for the TargetingIdea elements? e.g. show me the volume for
the keyword variations?
The old deprecated v13 API for this that returned keyword variations
as http://code.google.com/apis/adwords/docs/developer/KeywordVariation.html
was more intuitive to use.

Let me know.

Thanks.