Reed,

Just imagine if all those engine APIs start deviating from SOAP spec,
think of the custom code that all the clients (stand alone or
frameworks)  have to write on their side and maintain it. I think the
whole point having w3c spec is that we don't have to worry about such
small things. Sending back http status 500 for soap fault is something
that big search ad marketing api (google, yahoo, msn) has been doing,
in fact it even works fine in google v13. We are really hoping that
this will be fixed in v2009 soon since they acknowledged that it is
incorrect.

my 2 cents!!