We are using Python, and using the python client library for the low
level calls. Here is some sample logic:
server = self._connect('AdGroupCriterion')
        operations = []
        for criterion in criteria:
            operations.append({
                'operator': 'SET',
                'operand':criterion.as_dict()
            })

self._adwords_call(server, 'Mutate', operations)
which will call something similar to:
eval('server.%s(operations)' % method)