On Mar 17, 3:25 pm, AdWords API Advisor <adwordsapiadvi...@google.com>
wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> To help you get started using and updating the client library, we've
> made sure that the current code is up to date with most of the
> services from v200909 of the API.
>
> The only services that are missing from this build are InfoService,
> BulkMutateJobService, and TargetingIdeaService.  These services
> require further patches to the SOAP module in order to support
> multiple namespaces.  For example, some of the obejcts in the
> InfoService are shared with cm/ and thus defined
> withhttps://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/cm/namespace, others are
> unique to this service and are defined
> underhttps://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/info/
> namespace.  We hope to implement these patches with your help.  The
> latest version of the code can be found at:
>
>  http://code.google.com/p/google-api-adwords-perl/.
>
> Note that the client library requires patched version of the
> SOAP::WSDL module, thus make sure to follow instructions in the README
> file:
>
>  http://code.google.com/p/google-api-adwords-perl/source/browse/trunk/...
>
> Best,
> - Eric Koleda, AdWords API Team

This is a great start.  I want to say I appreciate your timely
response to this issue.  We are going to try building this code today
and see how it goes; I'll post feedback later today.  I will also be
posting a followup on the previously mentioned blog regarding your
efforts here.

I think some things I'd like to help work out would include:

1) SOAP::WSDL patches, if these are good patches I will contact the
cpan author and see if we can get them integrated and released on
CPAN.  CPAN is the standard toolchain for perl developers and is the
community approved method for contributing code.  So if these changes
are needed I'd like to get them on CPAN.  Please consider if this can
work with your legal team and terms.  We' d be happy to add a note to
the author section saying something like, "some code contributed by
Google" or similar.  Let me know what you think

2) Ideally this code in google-api-adwords would also get released to
CPAN in a regular way.  obviously the developer repo and related tools
like bugtracking and discussion can reside anywhere, but again any
Perl developer would look to CPAN first for code.  If the existing
Google::Adwords module is going be be considered deprecated I need to
get the author to mark a new release as such, and ideally we'd cut a
working version of the code in the repository over here onto CPAN,
like under Google::API::Adwords or similar.  Is there someone on the
Google end that wants to own this CPAN module?   If you need help
getting this together I would gladly assist.

Myself I am not a SOAP expert.  In general SOAP is not preferred by
any dynamic language, it is a better fit for strongly typed languages
such as Java.  So I can't assist very much on that side.  However I
can act to help facilitate communication between our communities and
with other bookekeeping tasks, like CPAN access, etc.  Some developers
on our side may be willing to put some additional time into getting
all this working.

Thanks!

John Napiorkowski
> On Mar 17, 10:48 am, john napiorkowski <jjn1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mar 16, 6:24 pm, AdWords API Advisor <adwordsapiadvi...@google.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > > Hi Rick
>
> > > We are aware that the Perl client library is out of date, and we are
> > > actively working on updating it to take full advantage of the v200909
> > > version of the API.  We encourage AdWords API Perl developers to
> > > contribute to the open source project and help to accelerate the
> > > process, but we want you to understand that this work will not be
> > > completed prior to the April 22 sunset of most v13 services.  We
> > > recommend that developers either migrate their applications to another
> > > language and client library (such as PHP, Python, etc.) or continue
> > > the development of their own implementation in Perl.  A complete list
> > > of the AdWords API client libraries is available here:
>
> > >  http://code.google.com/apis/adwords/docs/clients.html
>
> > > Best,
> > > - Eric Koleda, AdWords API Team
>
> > Recently blogged about this decision over
> > at:http://jjnapiorkowski.vox.com/library/post/google-do-no-evil-to-perl....
>
> > I hope we can work together to address this problem.  I really don't
> > think "use a language other then Perl or write your own bindings" is a
> > very productive solution.  I hope we can do better.

Have you migrated to v200909 yet?
The v13 sunset is on April 22, 2010.