I'm not perfectly sure what you are asking, but here is what I did.

I created an MCC account, and by default (apparently) it came up with
the old interface.  I then linked to an existing account (possibly
because I couldn't see the Adwords API menu item at that time, or
possibly because there was no point in looking for the Adwords API
before I had an account)

Then I started to look for the Adwords API menu item and couldn't find
it, so I posted a message in the adwords forum, and was directed to
this forum, where I posted another message.

After searching around on my own I found the answer to the problem
i.e. move to the new interface, and was able to apply for a token and
get it approved.

I'm now using the new interface and don't see any problems (yet ! )
with accessing the linked account, but I have not yet tried an API
call with the token.

Robert.