Eric,

I have to urge a reconsideration of ignoring accents, this is really
undermining the usefulness of the api
and what is more, of google SE itself. Accents are part of most
languages which have a roman characterset,
they convey meaning and in some cases the presence of accents might
indicate a completely different meaning.
Targeting your advertisement starts with the keywords, imo you should
leave the keywords alone.

I think this move will not remain without consequences, if google
thinks that languages have accents
for no particular reason and chooses to ignore them it will raise
awareness of language conservation groups all over the world
and it will be considered a nuisance by everyone who now have to type
their accented keywords with a plus sign or quotation marks just
to ensure that google will not mess it up.

A trivial example is "røge" which means smoke in Danish, in the new
google SE interface I get everything BUT røge and instead end up
with french cousin "rogé", even a Russian one, simply because my
browser is French, if I type "røge" I mean "røge" !

Of all this doesn't explain why your non-roman character domains show
significantly lower results, this imo undermines using google #SERP/SV
as a reference.