I've searched around Adwords a bit more to see if I can find any more
MCC signup information.  It's actually quite confusing, as the FAQ
refers to several items:

My Client Center
Managed Accounts
Link existing account button

and so forth, and so on.    It seems as if the FAQ is referring to a
different system entirely, as the search inside the Adwords account
doesn't bring these up.

Is there an alternative FAQ that is more accurate in describing how to
get an MCC account?

Thanks

Chris