Hi Reed,

Not to avoid the question, but I think you are trying to solve the
wrong problem.  I don't think the issue is with the ads, but rather
the automatic placements.  I don't believe automatic placement data is
captured in the keywords performance report, since no one keyword is
responsible for an automatic placement being matched.  If you were to
run an automatic placement report I believe you'd find the missing
clicks and costs data.

Be aware that there have been some reported problems with the
automatic placements report in the API:

http://groups.google.com/group/adwords-api/browse_thread/thread/73acb56e0a95aad1/

If you create an automatic placements performance report via the UI
though it should work correctly.

Best,
- Eric