I've been tracking this down for a while, finally ended up going line
by line through the CSV file that the reporting service sends me and
the on-screen data in the AdWords GUI.  The problem I was seeing was
that a specific client account was always having problems with their
performance data at the keyword & managed placement level not matching
their performance data at the account level.

I found that there are placements with names that begin "category::"
and have formats like this
  category::name>subname
  category::name>subname>subname

note that this is different from placements with names like
  slickdeals.net::entire site,top

Performance data for all of the placements with the "category::"
placement names is not appearing in the CSV files that I get from the
reporting service.  A sample Report ID for one that I ran yesterday is
14029566

I will provide further details and a copy of the csv file from that
report ID via the private email.

thanks,
-reed